Sassy Suspect

The misadventures of a single gal trying to find the balance and humor in every day life.

February 07, 2005

Bondage

Sure I am upset, but another memory was created. They lost, we lost, I am still green.

I have always been a Tom Boy, a kin to Pippy Long Stocking. Growing up my father was my basketball coach while my sister took dance lessons. After school, I would run out and attempt to join my brother's ball games. Somehow those attempts to join the game turned in to a cruel game of monkey in the middle. However, these are some of my finest memories. As the years went by I would go watch my brothers basketball,football,and wrestling matches. During that time my dad took my brothers and I to our first NFL Football game -- GO EAGLES. I remember looking down at the field for the first time, and feeling like an ant. Of course we were sitting very close to the fresh air. I could almost touch the blimp.

Yesterday was the Super Bowl. The Eagles finally made it.-I haven't seen that many turn overs since I last made pancakes. The Eagles put up a good fight. The Eagles had nothing to prove. We yelled and screamed for our Eagles to come out on top. In the end, they were a team. Terry Bradshaw pointed this out, "they are the only team in the NFL" they have always been my favorite team (plus I look really good in green).

I spent football season this year running around from game to game with a good friend of mine. New Team - New City - Go Texans. Her and I now share memories and an experiences we will relive every football season. A new bond was formed.

Beyond team affiliation, sports have a symbolic meaning Rooting for the same team, or different teams is a true bonding experience. Yesterday I had the chance to go to several parties with friends but, NFL team affiliation for me, is acquainted with family. So, I went with my brother and lovely sister-in-law to watch the game. When I arrived at their house all the kids had on their Eagles T-shirts. It was the cutest thing. We sang and danced, ran around the house, and spelled out E-A-G-L-E-S! The game was starting soon so in true Philly fashion -the adults went to a Bar.

As we waited for the game to begin my sis-in-law told stories of growing up and watching the Eagles games with her dad. Her family would get together and watch the game.

Sports are so much more than a man on man testosterone animalistic drive. They are about building relationships and sharing a common ground. Watching a good athletic event is a bonding experience. It's one of the only times you will see grown men hug and cry over something they had nothing to do with. You can jump up out of your seat and give the guy across the room, whom you just met, a high five. Cheering for your favorite team brings people closer giving them a reason to connect with one another on a humanistic level. It's not weather your team wins or loses but, the experience and emotions of enjoying the ride.

Good job Eagles - I'll still wear my green.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home