Sassy Suspect

The misadventures of a single gal trying to find the balance and humor in every day life.

May 10, 2005

"“What’s your theme song?”"
“"My what?"”
"“Ya know your theme song, the song that describes you and always picks you up?”"

Blankly, I replied, “"You want to know what my theme song is.”"

I visibly rolled my eyes at her. I couldn’t help it, it was inevitable. A theme song? That’s more cliché than identifying with Alley McBeal or Carrie Bradshaw. She waited, glaring at me as though it was a simple question such as, what’s you favorite color?

“"Okay – perhaps I am asking you the question wrong”. A song that picks you up when you are feeling down.”"
"And… it’s supposed to describe my life and the life I want to believe I am living?”
“"Something like that.”"

Looking at her I knew she was serious and wanted an honest response from me. She was sincere in her question, any response I could give would have been grabbing at cultural straws trying and reaching for the answer she was looking for. I was not aware of this cultural phenomenon where I am supposed to allow a repetitive chorus followed by a few guitar solos to define my life.

“"Come on now I’ve read some of your blog, – you must have a song.”"

I wanted to blurt out and say, “Baby, I am a lot more than my blog and a fucking song.”
Instead I replied, “I’ll have to get back to you on that one.”

Do most people have a theme song?
After going for my run this evening and realizing the one song I tend to loop on my IPOD is "Express Yourself" by Salt N' Peppa -its a little old but has lots of rhythm

3 Comments:

  • At 6:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i dont know anyone that has a theme song. course i guess if i had to pick one id say...damn it, brain, what a time to go a.w.o.l....how bout new blue champion by everclear... maybe?

    nevermind.

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger lfc said...

    yeah, it's hard to sum up your entire life/self/being with just one song. but i wouldn't mind walking around with a soundtrack... it would make moments so much cooler! like the theme from rambo while i'm working out, nine inch nails while i'm having sex (okay i'm a freak), moby while i'm driving...
    yeah, can't sum yourself up with one song. we're all too complicated.

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree my songs are all over the board. Everywhere from Janis Joplin to Destiny's Child to The Verve.

    We should not pigeon hole ourselves to believe we can fit a square ped in a round hole

    Patrick

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home